Monday, August 22, 2005

So what does this mean?

So as I said, we were in church when the tree crunched our house.

Sitting in the pew, Kathy was upset all over again about the pastor, about other people we saw sitting in these reserved pews ahead of us. Turns out they were on this big deal committee I used to belong to, and some were members of the new parish council. We knew them all, so that was good. Kathy felt I should be up there, but I wasn't so sure I wanted any more responsibility at church.

Anyway, I started praying about what to do about changing parishes. Should we stay in the place where she grew up and where we were married and where all our kids went to school and where we are both Eucharistic ministers and I recruit and train lectors and am in charge of the Social Justice group? Or should we go to a new parish where some of our former members now belong? What's a good reason for leaving a faith community?

I asked Jesus for a way to know.

So we get home and see a tree laying across our driveway--a small scale disaster that we missed because we were in church. A tree fell four feet from where Kathy sits in the kitchen, and we weren't home. We were in church. The same church we've been going to for the thirty years we've lived together here. So what does this mean? Everything? Or nothing?

6 Comments:

At 8/23/2005 6:14 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

Maybe it means you should keep going to A church. It doesn't necessarily mean you should keep going to THE church where you've always gone.

Goodness knows, if I'd been at your house, the tree probably wouldn't have landed right on me as I sat on my big butt watching MTV.

 
At 8/23/2005 3:38 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Thanks for praying yesterday.

Rebekah's condition has worsened today. Please pray again if you can. Visit her site for more info.

 
At 8/24/2005 9:07 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

And the winner for the bizarre post of the week goes to John Scanlan. That whole tree story is just bizarre. You must have been shocked.

I think people feel guilty changing parishes because they feel they are crossing the forbidden line. The church is not divided by walls, it's not worse than sitting with friends on the other side of an isle, if you want to move over, you just do. I find it's all to cliquie.

 
At 8/25/2005 9:13 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Darlene,
Thanks for the award. We were shocked beyond belief. We loved that tree. I feel another post coming on, to describe just how much.

I appreciate your thoughts on changing parishes, though I am shocked that you would actually go and sit on the other side of the aisle! :))

Shane, it's a good thing your sister is thousands of miles away!

 
At 8/26/2005 1:53 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

No Shane, you're lucky your sister has a good sense of humor because even though I'm miles away, I do have a very long memory.

Plus, Dad, he's just being honest. I'd rather hear that I HAD a big butt than that I currently HAVE a big a butt.

 
At 8/26/2005 10:53 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I think it means you've been the "victim" of an "act of God". Or so the insurance companies like to say...

Don't know what's going on in your parish, but I think as long as God wants you there, He'll let you know. And when He doesn't want you there any longer, you'll know it in no uncertain terms.

Did the tree have any squirrel nests? I think squirrel nests would be a pretty clear sign...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home