Sunday, January 22, 2006

Year One is in the books

It has been one year today since I started this blog. At first I thought it would be a kind of business related one where I would be talking about career issues and dispensing the wisdom gained in twenty years of work in the field. HA! I even called it “Your Life’s Work”, a rather outer directed name.

It quickly changed into something else entirely. The name is now “My Life’s Work”, which is probably more accurate and certainly more inner directed. Now I realize that the purpose of blogging, at least for me, is to explore my own experiences and my feelings about them. Also, being a relationship oriented sort of person, it serves to meet new people and hear about their lives.

I have met many very nice people through this blog. A few nuts, yes, a few “nice nuts” as my mother would say, and some remarkable people doing great things just by being themselves. It’s fun to read about others’ lives, their dreams.

“Oh, the humanity!”, one might say.

Punch the “Next Blog” button for high adventure, or just check your regular commenters to see how they are doing. There is a blog by young woman in Amman, Jordan that I check once in a while just to keep my world view in shape. She kindly referred people to one of my recent posts. Of course, Rebecca is required reading if you need a lift. Darlene’s blog is actually the first one I ever read. Her stories are wonderful, as are those that John Cowart shares on his blog. Read about Suzanne’s adventures as a Suburban Lesbian, or the story of Wannabemom. Are you a fan of nurses? Then catch up with Third Degree Nurse and her friends.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but no blogroll would be complete without a mention of a sparkling young writer named Ann. I wonder where she gets all that talent. Nature or nurture?

The only thing that kind of gets me is the amount of time I could be spending doing this. The more exploring I do, the more people I meet and the more blogs I want to bookmark. Winnowing these is difficult since of course, I only pick the most fascinating and cool people to read. If I knew more about the tech aspects of setting up my blog properly, I would have a convenient list of the people I read. Surely Mirty will address this at some point in her special blog. (hint, hint).

There are more people I could mention, but this is enough to get you started.

There is one other thing that gets me: how honest to be in writing here. I’m afraid to be completely honest about my feelings, but at the same time, I find reading about others’ true feelings to be the most fun. My children read this, so there is some self censorship going on. The best introduction to a blog comes from It’s not exactly Pepperland. It goes like this: “If I know you personally and haven't invited you here -- well, there's a reason for that, so kindly go on back to whichever part of my life you belong in. Trust me, this is for your own good.” That makes a lot of sense to me. I don’t want people from work reading this. I don’t like certain people knowing a lot about me and my inner life. That’s why I took out my real photo and substituted a made up South Park character in my profile. (The character my daughter created for herself was so perfect, I had to try one.) If I am really honest, what will people think of me? So I struggle with that.

To all of you who take time to read and comment, thank you. That’s what makes it worthwhile, knowing that you are out there. I appreciate your sharing a little of yourselves. Makes us realize we’re all in this together.

12 Comments:

At 1/22/2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Dallas said...

Congratulations on your first year anniversary. Hope you have many many more. My anniversary is coming up in Feb.

 
At 1/22/2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Tink, you belong in yet another catagory of person I've discovered through blogging: persons I've never met, but whom I care about nonetheless.

 
At 1/22/2006 8:32 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Mirty, you are just too cool for words. Thanks.

 
At 1/22/2006 11:07 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I think that's pretty cool that I was your first read. I remember that day a year ago. You were very kind. I thought your blog would be a serious read, but I really enjoyed when you started to get personal and write about your family. Especially that adorable little Max.

 
At 1/23/2006 8:01 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

You touch a nerve here. I have mixed feelings about honesty in my own postings. None of us can help wanting to put our best foot forward, yet nobody needs to see my feet.
My blog often serves as a springboard for great talks with my grown children. You mention being "afraid to be completely honest... My children read this, so there is some self censorship".
I've found that my wife and children already know me better than anybody else. I've never fooled them a bit about what kind of person I am. They already know when I'm faking and when I'm honest. So, I'll suggest that you keep honestly doing exactly what you've been doing... Guess what? They'll love you warts and all.

 
At 1/23/2006 8:58 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

My one year anniversary is coming up on 27 Jan, although I will be in Paris for it. I started my blog because, well, I am a giant copy cat.

 
At 1/24/2006 4:03 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

what a great post,, I can relate to a lot of it, especially the honesty bit...how much of myself do I really put out there? Not only do my adult kids read my blog, but also my EX!!!! So, I tend to be pretty cautious! Congratulations on your blog...I love to read it!

 
At 1/24/2006 8:05 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Thank you all for your good wishes. Yes, Darlene, I was a virgin before I met you. Since then I've been rather promiscuous, reading all sorts of blogs--and you started it all.

 
At 1/25/2006 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, John. The one year mark means it's left the novelty stage and has moved into full fledged addiction territory.

:-)

Here's to many more years to come.

 
At 1/26/2006 2:05 AM, Blogger Lina said...

I'll second Jennifer's "Here's to many more years of blogging" :)

I'm really honored to be on that list, and to think that I contribute in providing am eeny-meeny tiny picture into this part of the world :)

Blogging sure has introduced me to so many amazingly interesting people and taught me so much... My blog anniversary is in March, and I'm looking forward to that :)

 
At 1/26/2006 2:06 AM, Blogger Lina said...

I meant to say 'window' instead of picture ;) and sorry for typos!

 
At 1/30/2006 9:04 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

You are one of my most favorite commenters of all time. When I see your name, I know the comment will be relevant, insightful and often humorous.

You add a lot to my blogging experience. Happy anniversary. :)

Suzanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home