Monday, January 24, 2005

Mom always said

When we were younger (and even when we weren't so young), if we were taking too long to do something like clean our rooms or wash the dishes, mom would say, "Don't make it your life's work!" As in, don't take too long, just get it done. We had no idea what our life's work was supposed to be, but we were shocked to think that some mundane task could possibly take all our lives to accomplish. Needless to say, we were spurred to action.

Years ago in the 70's I interviewed for a job for a computer training school. The work consisted of doing presentations to people who had answered their ads and come down to hear a pitch about computer careers. The interviewer actually told me that in these presentations I would be telling people that their lives were worthless and that they needed the computer school to make something of themselves. My job would be to tear down their self esteem until they agreed to sign up for the program. These presentations were done on Saturdays. During the week, I would have to call the prospects and hound them into enrolling in the school. Fortunately, we both realized I wasn't that cold blooded and I did not get the job.

That interview was part of my education. Every interview, and all you do in your job search is an opportunity to learn more about your life's work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home