Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Three cheers for English!

Wait a minute--the Official Scrabble Dictionary is on line? After I bought two copies already? Oh wait--you have to look up single words. Kathy's mom (who died a year ago) was a ninety year old Scrabble fan. I used to play her sometimes and get a kick out of her "words" like "VA" for Veterans Administration. Of course it's an abbreviation, but in her generation it was a very important "word." So I let her get away with it.

We used to independently search our Official Scrabble Dictionaries (her with a big print version, mine in a paperback) looking for lists of two and three letter words we could spring on each other. My favorite? “Qat”—no ‘u’ needed—woo hoo!

A certain sibling used to play with her brother, but didn’t tell him what the colored squared meant. She denies this, of course, but he wondered why she consistently outscored him.

Growing up, our family played and I think it all contributed to our love of language. My one sister writes amazing letters about her experiences in a Boston medical clinic—I think she ought to put them in a book. My brother is president of a publishing company (Thieme.com). My mom was a newspaper reporter, and a book editor. She finally got her name on a book, “The Family Bible Study Book”(I and II) and a book about Vance Havner published by Revell. I am very proud of my own book, “Careers in Action”.

So yes, language is very important to me. Sadly, I can completely relate to the rantings of Lynne Truss in her book “Eats Shoots and Leaves.” Anyone who cares about English and its (possessive!) wonderful idiosyncratic rules and yes, Mirty, spellings, ought to have ESL on his or her shelf (darn that number agreement requirement!).

6 Comments:

At 9/21/2005 3:38 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

I HOPE that you are talking about one of your sisters when you mention the unnamed sibling.

For the record, Nana Anna accused me of being a "dirty dog" for not telling her what the coloured squares meant. I DID tell her what the they meant and she either wasn't listening because she was too busy trying to figure out how to use a Q, Z, Y and four E tiles or she didn't understand me. This was NOT my fault and if you persist in spreading such ill-founded rumours, I will have to take serious action.

 
At 9/21/2005 9:04 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

So, what IS a qat?

 
At 9/21/2005 10:40 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

qat: one of more than 1,000,000 entries available at Merriam-WebsterUnabridged.com.

Well, that wasn't very helpful.

John, since you're avoiding doing the meme tag thing, answer me this, please: on your book cover, are you the Indiana Jones look-alike in the center? Or the little runty, squint-eyed, bespectacled buy wearing the hat in the lower left corner?

 
At 9/21/2005 10:41 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I meant "guy", not "buy". I guess your subliminal message generator is working...

 
At 9/22/2005 8:58 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Jeff,
As far as I know, I'm not in the book. My boss believes he is the Indiana Jones character, and we let him believe it. My meme (whatever that word means) is posted.

Nettie, the Scrabble dictionary says it's the plural of "kat". Clears that right up, doesn't it?

 
At 10/22/2022 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

samsung galaxy m13 price in pakistann



FIA Jobs 2022 | Federal Investigation Agency jobs| fia jobs 2022

 

Post a Comment

<< Home