Friday, December 02, 2005

The past three days

My fever broke about 5 this morning. I knew I was getting a cold on Tuesday, and by the next day it had knocked me out and kept has kept me home for the past three days.

Let me explain. When I get a cold, it’s not the sniffles; it’s a full blown biological event. There is a little tickle in my nose that serves a warning to start taking Cold-Eze. After about twelve hours, it goes into my chest and sends me back under the blankies where I sleep for hours at a time. This is good because I can’t seem to get any rest during the night. This is interesting because you get to see what’s on TV in the wee hours. Let me save you some insomnia—it’s pretty much what’s on during the day. There was one period when you could find the original Superman TV series on at 1:30am, but alas, no longer.

It’s so disappointing to be home on a workday and not feel up to doing anything. I take my days off very seriously. There is always a list of things I want to accomplish and oddly enough, relaxing is never on that agenda. Fortunately, I was so sick these past few days that I didn’t feel my usual frustration at being unable to do the wash, straighten the house, finish the Christmas cards, fix the snowblower, catch up on reading the back issues of PC World that piled up over the summer, get the upstairs ready for Christmas visitors or work on church stuff.

Oh. Wait. Fix the snowblower. That, I did. Kathy warned me that if I went out to the garage she’d slap me. So I didn’t tell her. I replaced the scraper bar and the paddles and fired it up. Works great now. Why did I risk a beating over a winter appliance? We’re supposed to get a bunch of snow tonight over the weekend and I’m not allowed to shovel and I didn’t want Kathy to have to go out there either. Of course I was out of my head while I was doing it, feverish and goofy, but hey—I couldn’t feel the cold that way.

So now I’m feeling much better. I hope I’m inoculated now against this sort of thing for the next little while.

2 Comments:

At 12/03/2005 2:33 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I can imagine that the one job that is a must in NA this winter is fixing the snow blower. Imagine having to be out there with a shovel....
Glad you are feeling better though and here is to responsible husbands sneaking around.....
May it long contiue...at least in the wintertime!

 
At 12/03/2005 2:40 PM, Blogger Dallas said...

Glad you are feeling better. Never met anyone who didn't like a few days off before. You really must have been sick. Hee Hee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home