Saturday, May 13, 2006

Multi-tasking

It’s not that we’re short handed or anything, but tonight at Mass I lit the candles, did the readings, helped with the collection, was a Eucharistic minister and handed out bulletins at the church door as people left.

One of my friends came up and said, “Do you do windows?”

Yesterday a woman from church called and left a message asking me to come to a meeting on Monday night to talk about ideas about the liturgy we might try over the rest of the year. I would be happy to do so, but I have to run a meeting of our Social Justice group at the same time.

At Social Justice, we don’t really have officers, but four years ago, the woman running the group decided to step down after many years. Since I seemed to keep showing up at the meetings, a group of members asked me to take over. The group was established about thirty years ago, and a few of the original members are still active. They are in their eighties now, though, and are not up to some of the physical work we do. Another one of those long time members died recently. It’s hard to get people to come to meetings and do some of the less glamorous work between our monthly gatherings.

Now I’m not complaining about what I do—I think it’s fun, but does anyone else have trouble getting people to step up and volunteer to do things at church?

5 Comments:

At 5/14/2006 6:52 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

You are a better man than I am.

At one time I served on eight different committees and such at the church we attended.
Eventually, I decided that church work was eating me alive and actually harming my devotional life.

I'm just not spiritually strong enough to do much church stuff any more.

At the church we go to now I do not volunteer for anything.

Any Christian service or charitiable stuff I do is now on an individual and personal basis and I feel much more satisfied with the way things are going.

 
At 5/14/2006 8:43 AM, Blogger Career Guy said...

John,
Sounds like you were burned out. I do OK with that, except for certain busy times of the year. And one of those times is coming up!

Church is also about community, and that's why I do what I do though at our church, attendance seems to be falling off, and parishioner involvement is waning. Sometimes I wonder what will happen to our parish, if we'll be combined with another to save resources. The world is spinning away from the ideals of my youth and leaving things like church at the periphery.

 
At 5/18/2006 1:38 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey Mr. Church Multi-tasker.....it seems to me - in my church experience (52 years long since I was raised in a Missionary family) that there is always a core group of servers. Those who are willing to pick up and do just about anything so that 'the show can go on!' Nowadays, it is trendy to take Meyers Briggs (and various other tests) and find out where one's bent is. That excuses a lot of just 'simply being willing to help', because the task is 'not a fit'....I understand both of these things, the need to be willing to help out, and the 'no fit' situation!

 
At 5/20/2006 12:06 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Getting people to step up and volunteer is difficult in many venues, not just church. Personally I find it rewarding but many others do not.

And the question remains... do you do windows?

Suzanne

 
At 5/21/2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Suzanne--Yes, I do everything, windows included.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home