Saturday, December 10, 2005

Coming out of it

The past two weeks I’ve been fighting some sort of infection that started as a cold and moved to my chest and wouldn’t leave, like that green blob monster in the commercial that sets up housekeeping in the victim’s lungs.

My own doctor was out of town, of course, when I called for an appointment when all this started. I am usually pretty stubborn, much to Kathy’s chagrin, about bothering him about a cold. I typically wait until I’m in dire straits before breaking down and calling for help. The office called me back with a prescription for Keflex. Six days later, I wasn’t any better so I got back on the phone.

Fortunately, my guy was back and invited me to drop by early the next morning before office hours so he could fix me up. Woo-hoo, I thought—just a quick visit and I’ll be on my way to work in minute.

Alas, it was not to be. You see, my doctor is a DO, and as such, he occasionally brings in medical students for a few weeks to observe his practice and get to do some real work with patients. Wouldn’t ya know it? He sent in the current student to assess me. I gave up on the idea of a quick getaway as I could see that this guy was going to take forever.

It took him a long time to get my blood pressure, look down my throat, listen to my chest and back. Then he started to do these silly neurological tests, like running his fingers up my legs and asking me if it felt the same. The same as what, I wondered. I’m not having a stroke, I’m having a bronchial event that’s kicking my butt. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind students at all. Granted, the paramedic students learning to draw blood in the ER do make me a tad nervous, but how else can they learn, if people don’t give them a crack at their bodies?

So he left the room, shut and door, and I could hear him discussing my case with the doctor. “What would you prescribe?” my guy asked. “Levaquin”, the student replied. Ah-ha! I thought—I’m allergic to that. Wonder what else he’ll come up with.

In they come, and my guy does the exact same assessment (minus the silly stuff) in a fraction of the time, and reviews my chart. He taps his finger on the list of allergies. The student is foiled! My guy turns and asks me what I would suggest. “How about z-pack?” I offered. Sure enough, that’s what I came away with, and that’s what seems to have kicked back at this bug.

On Friday, my co-workers sent me home at noon so I could get some rest. Considering I’m in charge while the director is away, could there have been an ulterior motive? I don’t care. I came home and slept for four hours and was on my way to feeling human again.

6 Comments:

At 12/11/2005 7:28 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

I always suspect that the extra sleep does more good than any medicine the doctor gives. Glad you're feeling better.

 
At 12/11/2005 4:35 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Here's hoping you're completely human soon!

 
At 12/12/2005 6:24 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I'm glad you're getting better. But seeing it's Monday, you are probably back at work now and not resting any longer.

 
At 12/15/2005 12:17 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Just popping in to say hi.

 
At 12/16/2005 8:49 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Thanks for not lurking, Darlene!

 
At 11/05/2008 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Chris Brown and i would like to show you my personal experience with Levaquin.

I am 50 years old. Have been on Levaquin for 21 days now. Started feeling achilles tendon pain 5 days after starting levaquin. Physician and pharmacy NEVER provided information about this side effect, as the prescribing information states they should. I never made the connection that an antibiotic could cause this side effect so I finished the regimen. Six months later, including three months of physical therapy, walking better, though still feel occassional pain. Fault is with physician and pharmacist. Levaquin is an important drug for fighting infections, but should be prescribed second line. There are other proven options to try first. Indiscriminate use by physicians is causing needless side effects and dramtically increasing resistance problems.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Achilles tendon damage, wrist pain

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Chris Brown

 

Post a Comment

<< Home