Saturday, January 28, 2006

Elevator Etiquette

The other day I stepped onto the elevator in one of our buildings and there was one of those five foot tall plants with big leaves on it. I forget what you call it, kind of like a rubber plant. Then I noticed the blond woman peeking out between the leaves.

“What a great idea” I said, “We should have a plant like that in every elevator. Really dresses up the place.”

The woman was embarrassed that she was being seen with this green monster. She said she thought it was late enough in the day on a Friday that she could get it into her office without being put on public display. No such luck. Everyone else in the elevator got a big kick out of it, though.

Earlier in the day I was in another elevator (I save my knees for really important things like lifting Max). There were two women students talking about gas mileage. One was complaining how much gas her car had used on a recent trip. The other agreed that it seemed like it was too much for a just a few hours. The first woman then said, “Well, I was going 90 miles an hour most of the time. Maybe 85…do you think that would have anything to do with it?”

I didn’t say anything, though I was tempted to. I wasn’t really part of the conversation and they didn’t seem inclined to include me.

Usually people file into and off of elevators in silence. If you are with someone, or see a person you know, you might strike up a conversation, but otherwise you just stand there and stare at the floor numbers going by. In my building, I will usually try to engage people with a word about the weather, or the “speed” of the elevator, or even ask them how school is going. People usually respond well to that, and if they don’t want to contribute, that’s OK too.

I wonder why that sliding box causes people to clam up. Maybe it’s that there’s not enough personal space to go around, so we need silence to keep ourselves safe. I’ve never been stuck in an elevator, though I wonder how I’d react. Bet that would get us to talk to each other.

Earlier in the week I was carrying a couple of boxes of Girl Scout cookies back to my office and one student remarked on that, saying she would mug me for my cookies, especially the Thin Mints. I figured we could share them, should the elevator get hung up between floors. We could probably write a great existential play about characters in an elevator. I wonder if anyone’s done that yet?

So what do you do in elevators?

5 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 9:17 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I keep my mouth shut....
I check out my reflection in the mirror!!
I try to stay away from the armpits of those squished into the box with me (and keep my armpits awqay from them)....
I roll my eyes at the comments of my fellow travellers..
If it is a hospital elevator, I pray that noone dead is wheeled in to share my space..
I tend to like office elevators, for the 'suits' will make sure the doors don't close on me....
the funniest elevator is the one at my gym...I know it is for moving equipment around, but hey..some of my fellow 'athletes' actually use it!!!! Explain that to me!

 
At 1/30/2006 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am rarely in an elevator, i always acknowledge whoever is getting on, slight nod of the head or slight smile, i will speak to someone if they say something to me, i'm not one to start a conversation with someone on the elevator

 
At 1/31/2006 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay in the corner by the numbers and refuse to acknowledge anyone.

 
At 2/01/2006 10:32 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I chit chat. I'm a real chit chatter, if I was in your building, you would know me, I talk to everyone I meet when I go to our shop.

 
At 2/01/2006 5:58 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

The sequal to Sarte's "No Exit"...but in an elevator instead of a hotel room...you could call it "No Emergency"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home