Saturday, April 01, 2006

Mirty could relate

Mirty could relate

My blogger friend Mirty could relate to this past week at my work. I usually don’t talk about work here (despite my purported interest in careers) because if someone from the office found this blog I would have to start all over to preserve some measure of anonymity. There is one person who keeps saying she wants to read this, but I hope she never does find the time to look.

So anyway. About my week at work. We were “converted” to a new email and calendar system. One part is a webmail system to use to access from home. The other part is an upgraded version of Lotus Notes to use in the office. We all had a training session on the webmail part, but not on the Lotus Notes. The security people told us we may no longer have a generic account to use at the reception desk, so the eight people who need to access calendars at the front counter would have to log in as themselves. In theory this is fine, but it turned into a ton of work for me.

In order for the eight people to see fourteen individual calendars, I had to set up quick links for all fourteen people in the accounts of all eight staff people. To do that, I had to delegate fourteen calendars eight times to all eight people who have to view the calendars. Then test it all to see if it worked.

Of course nothing went the way it should. None of our student workers could see the calendars, even though I had done everything correctly. I think I know why, but now the email administrator has to come up with a fix for that.

I had to work late on something else two nights last week, my boss was getting nervous about the calendars, the other people were getting upset that the calendars were all messed up, so I came home late one night and just sat down at my home computer and banged it all out and tested and re-tested until I got it all in there.

Then I took a half day off on Friday (guess which half) and fixed a bunch of bugs I discovered and now I don’t want to even look at another computer screen, and here I am anyway.

So as long as I was home anyway on Friday, I had the Pella window guy stop by. We were thinking about replacing the big window in the family room with those cool windows with the blinds inside. Kathy saw that commercial with the barbecue exploding in the background, and she knew she wanted that window. Now you have to understand, we need a window that is ten feet wide and four feet high—it’s huge. I had the saleman figure everything in for the top of the line window—exactly what Kathy wanted. It came to $3800. For one window. That’s probably more than the whole addition the window is in cost to build! Kathy freaked when I told her the price, but today over lunch in Mavis Winkles, she said she still wanted it, and we will work out a way to get it.

I love those lunches. Every once in a while we go out alone and talk about our future, our past, our hopes, our fears. Our children, our Max, our parents living and gone. Our brothers and sisters and their children. Our house, our car, our kitchen floor. Our faith, our God, our church, our friends from church. Our neighbors. Everything in our life together that’s ours. That’s what we talk about. It draws us back together after a hectic week of being apart.

Gosh, I love those lunches.

6 Comments:

At 4/02/2006 5:35 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

I'll bet the conversation at lunch is worth the price of the new window.

 
At 4/02/2006 3:54 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Well, the IT stuff sounds all to confusing to me! I am starting an IT course soon to bring me up to snuff...well, I hope it brings me up to snuff!!!

And as for the lunch business, well that is just sounding too delicious for this single woman who is past her prime!!!!

How lovely.

 
At 4/02/2006 5:21 PM, Blogger -Ann said...

I hope you also talk about your dog. But only good things because he's the best dog ever. (Forget about how much his medication costs and how sometimes he eats stuff off the counter.)

 
At 4/03/2006 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sweet, it soudns like dreams come true...

 
At 4/05/2006 4:10 PM, Blogger Katie said...

J-- See if you can find that type of window someplace else other than Pella. We were going to do Pella windows here when we were building and even with the builder discount, the prices were shocking. We have great windows now from WeatherSheild. It's the one thing people remember from our house. I can see you a picture if you want-- but we don't have blinds inside the window.

 
At 4/05/2006 10:25 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Sounds like a wonderful meal. And we don't even know what you ate. :)

Suzanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home