Saturday, March 25, 2006

Time Travel

Leave it to the bloggers to know just what to say. Rebecca said something simple, yet profound in her comment on my last post. She talked of loving Kathy through her journey, after all, it is her journey. Yes, it is. That helps me understand, but it’s still hard to watch someone go through that, someone you have been bound to for thirty-five years. It’s hard not to feel every bump and scrape that she experiences along the way. Rebecca is wise beyond her years. :-))

I appreciate all you others who dropped a note about our fellowship. Thanks for being there for me.

In other news, Max has been invited to a classmate’s birthday party, and everyone has to come in costume. Summer, the birthday girl, is frightened by Darth Vader, so the Star Wars character has been specifically banned from appearing at the celebration. Lately, Max has been fascinated with the movie “Back to the Future”, so once he understood that he could not dress as his first choice (Darth Vader, of course), he decided he wanted to be “Doc Brown”, the crazy scientist who invents time travel in a DeLorean. As he and Shane discussed the costume, he paused for a moment and said, “Dad, are scientists scary?” ever mindful of little Summer’s fragile emotional state. Shane assured him that posing as Doc Brown would be just fine. Driving in the car lately, Max insists on being called “Marty” after the Michael J. Fox character, and his father is “Doc”. Call him Max and he’ll correct you.

It’s so much fun to enter his world. When he comes over, we become “Buzz” and “Woody”, or whoever he wants to be that day. It doesn’t even require a psychotic break. It’s all perfectly legitimate. Just morph into whatever character catches your fancy and away you go. Try that at work sometime, and they’ll be calling security.

The draft of the second edition of Careers in Action is due on March 31, so I was working on that this weekend. I plan to leave much of it intact, since it’s all still relevant stuff and I did a pretty good job the first time out. All the resume examples will be new, though, and I am especially happy with the way that chapter turned out. There was some discussion with the publisher about what constitutes a “second” edition as opposed to a “revised” edition. Apparently they want you to change 20% of the book to qualify as a “second” edition. That would be about 60 pages for me. For the life of me, I couldn’t see how I could alter that much material without making a mess of the whole project, so I’ll change what I think really needs changing and see what happens.

I’ll do a better job of marketing it this time, too. Maybe if I become Marty, I can go back in time and tell people that there is terrific job search book coming out soon and everyone absolutely has to buy it…yeah…that would work…Now, where’s Max? We have get the DeLorean fired up!

1 Comments:

At 3/26/2006 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sweet, how he worries about Summer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home