Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Nothing like the classics

This past Saturday was the first one I’ve missed posting something new. It’s harder in the summer to be faithful to this writing. Harder still with no comments to keep things moving. We were busy with Max’s birthday party. He is four.

Without consulting each other, the grandparents bought him some of the classic toys of our own childrens’ youth. Remember Hungry Hungry Hippo? Our kids drove us nuts banging away on the hippo tails. It was my brilliant (every pun intended) idea to buy Lite Brite. In the olden days, this was a plug in affair with a hot light bulb in side the plastic frame. Now it runs on three D cell batteries. Where’s the adventure in that?

It cracks me up that they bill it as a “flat screen” device. It was always a flat screen. It’s the only way it could work.

Max dove right into the low tech toys, dancing around the room when he won a Hippo game. Kathy gave him one of those cards that plays a song when you open it. He peered inside, trying to find out how it worked. When his father explained that there was a computer chip in there, that prompted more dashing about the room as he pointed it out to all in attendance.

Max had another sleep over this weekend. On Saturday morning, Kathy and I woke up leisurely at 6am and she asked me if I had heard her scream in the night, and for once, I hadn’t. She then told me that she had had a nightmare. Max was standing outside our door and stuck his head in to say that he had had a nightmare too! His dream involved flying ice cream trucks that you had to take an airplane up to in order to get ice cream, and then you had to parachute down. Terrifying! He was very pleased with the box the washing machine came in, since it makes a great clubhouse. We cut windows and doors in it Saturday night, and he put his little plastic chair in there. Since I have two boxes, I’m thinking of tying them together to make a mansion.

Doesn’t take much to make us happy.

5 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 8:13 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Of all the toys he got, I'll bet he remembers the box fort longer than any of the others. Great fun!

 
At 6/28/2006 11:21 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I remember lite-brite but not the hippo thing - and yes, fort making was the best.

 
At 6/29/2006 7:23 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I feel rather deprived that I never had a lite-bright as a child! Then again, neither did my own child.

 
At 7/01/2006 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a Lite-Bright! Hand-me-down, of course, like everything.

 
At 7/02/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Dallas said...

Ourchildren always loved the boxes that presents came in more than the presents. It's the simple things in life that we get most pleasure from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home