Sunday, March 01, 2009

Made another one!

The 30th Annual Spring Career Fair is in the books. We had 1,519 people through the doors and 138 organizations there. The attendance for candidates was a new record, eclipsing the old mark of 1304 from a couple of years ago. The number of employers was the lowest in many years, though. Counting the number of employer representatives, the number of candidates and the number of Career Services Center staff, we figure we had 2,000 people in the gym on Friday.

This year was especially hard on me for some reason. I was dead on my feet when I began work on Friday at 6:30am. I felt the way I usually feel at the end of the fair, but it was only just beginning. Fortunately, we have a pretty good crew who did what they were supposed to do and everything worked out well.

I told everyone how I had woken up at 2am worrying about things I had forgotten to do, and the wind was howling outside and the rain was lashing the windows and I was so distracted, that I couldn’t get back to sleep. So I began to pray. I asked the Holy Spirit to settle over the building where we hold the Fair, and to grant us wisdom and peace—and He did. Ordinarily there are small moments of panic when someone comes up to me and asks for something I had forgotten to get, or there is some error I’ve made that scrambles things momentarily, but there was none of that this year.

On Saturday following the Fair, after sleeping for nine and half hours, I got up, took the car to shop at the end of our street for an oil change, walked home, sat for a while, walked back up to get the car and then fell into bed for another three hours of unconsciousness. Today, Sunday, I am feeling a little better, but probably shouldn’t operate machinery or make major life decisions for another twenty-four hours or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home