Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The box is always more fun

The other night I went over to two year old Max's house with an early Easter present. We bought him something called a PVD, a personal video disc, that plays on something called VideoNow. I'm not exactly a fan of having him glued to a screen, but fortunately, he is much too busy to be tied down for long to such a device. Heck, I can't even get him to sit still for five minutes of Bambi.

Kathy put the gift in a gift bag with a big sheet of yellow tissue paper. When I gave it to Max, he pulled out the tissue paper, glanced in the bag, and ran off with the paper. He carefully spread it on the carpet and used it for a road for his cars. Later it became a sleeping mat while he pretended to nap. Finally it transformed into a blanket when he announced, "You're cold!" and spread it over me.

Why do we bother buying toys when the empty box is always more fun?

6 Comments:

At 3/23/2005 9:26 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

You have a sweet little buddy there. You remind me of my brother in law and his three year old grandson. There is such a special bond between the two.

I sense that same bond is between the two of you.

 
At 3/23/2005 10:58 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm off to stock up on tissue paper just in case I ever get to be an Oma!

 
At 3/23/2005 11:49 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Heck, in my day, we didn't even have dirt...oh, wait, that's somebody else's tale of woe.

Seriously, we played outside almost all the time, using sticks and stuff for guns, etc. Did a lot of exploring in the wooded areas and fields in our neighborhood, including a bridge over a creek near the farm of an old guy whose sister was rumored to be a witch (or just cranky about kids running all over the place). Indoors, we actually rode our bikes in the basement, racing around the poles and behind the stairs; upstairs, a sheet over the card table was a tent.

 
At 3/24/2005 10:51 AM, Blogger Dallas said...

I am so looking forward to the day that I might get to be a grandma. Time is nearly running out for my first - she's tried. My youngest is planing to start in about another year.

My kids used to take the boxes and play with them more than the toys as well.

Some kids today don't seem to have a lot of imagination. It has all been taken away from them with the cartoons, video cames, movies, etc.

 
At 4/01/2005 1:42 AM, Blogger Gina said...

What a cutie!

I hear you on the box thing, but isn't it just wonderful how big their imaginations are?

One of the best things is playing pretend with my little guy, and I am grateful for how much more he can "see" than I do. He usually teaches me a thing or two every time we play!

 
At 4/02/2005 3:59 PM, Blogger Lori said...

What an imagination he has! Reminds me of my two. Always making something up with paper tubes ans boxes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home