Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A modest goal

In the summer of 1968, my then girlfriend and I drove up to her parents' cottage by a lake in upstate New York. Now don't get all excited, her mother was up there with us. We weren't that kind of kids...yet.

Anytime we drove anywhere and the news came on, we would turn off the radio or change stations. We didn't want to know anything about the outside world. We just wanted to stay wrapped up in, well, ourselves. We were looking forward to a fun weekend just goofing around with each other.

It was the weekend of the Democratic National Convention and the "police riot" in Chicago.

Consequently, we missed one of the landmark events of our generation.

These days I have a modest goal. I don't want to know anything about the Michael Jackson trial. If the news comes on, I turn it off or change stations. After the travesty of the OJ trial, I don't want any part of another celebrity circus. Are we so shallow, so venal that we need this kind of "entertainment"? Apparently so.

Wake me when it's over.

Don't tell me what happened.

3 Comments:

At 3/15/2005 9:18 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Orange juice was on trial? Was it that whole Anita Bryant thing again?

Just kiddin'...

I remember vividly being in the backseat of our car driving through downtown Detroit in the summer of 1967, on vacation. Yep, the very day the race riots broke out. My 2 older brother and I (I was 7) hunkered down as dad tried like hell to get us out of there--fire alarms and sirens everywhere. We had planned on going over to Windsor via the tunnel, but there were barricades with signs stating basically "advance at your own risk". Dad wisely chose not to risk it. We made it up to New York and saw Niagra Falls (I have only the vaguest of memories of that).

 
At 3/16/2005 12:24 AM, Blogger Dallas said...

I was only 16 at that time and into myself. Couldn't have cares less about politics when there was music to listen to. I agree with the Michael thing. Who cares to see a moment by moment blow by blow of what is going on. After the O.J. fiasco, I gave up on "justice for all".

 
At 3/16/2005 12:25 AM, Blogger Dallas said...

Sorry, forgot to mention that Darlene is back up and running. Did you read her blog about "Mixed messages". Had me really laughing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home