Saturday, February 26, 2005

She's leaving home...bye ...bye

That's how the Beatles' song ends. I was a normal teenager, about 14 or so when I discovered rock and roll. Turns out my younger sisters had been listening to the radio and I heard this strange sound coming from their room one day. I loved it. 'You mean you've been listening to this and you never told me!" It became the soundtrack of my life. School, dates, homework, basketball games, time alone, driving my dad's car, long talks with friends--there were songs playing all the time.

Now I have this mechanism in my brain that tells me about my feelings before I am even aware of them. All I have to do is listen to whatever is playing in my head. So, today it's "She's Leaving Home" from Sgt. Pepper.

Yesterday Daughter Ann called and talked to Kathy for a few minutes and then said, '"Is Dad there? I have something I need to tell both of you." Well, if that's not enough to stop your heart as a parent! Here was her news: She and husband Peter are selling everything and moving to Ireland.

Peter is from Dublin, and his parents, brother and one sister still live there. Ann and Peter were married in Ireland last May, but came back to their house in Chicago. They had talked about making this move "some day" and now it's here. They are confident that they can find work there and start over. After all, they carved out a life for themselves in Chicago starting off cold, so they can do it again.

At their wedding they had a traditional Irish band named "Osna" playing for the guests. I bought the CD in Dublin and playing it always made me happy, remembering our wonderful trip. I put it on today and unexpectedly, tears streamed down my face. I'll be OK, they'll be OK--it's just sinking in now.

6 Comments:

At 2/27/2005 7:54 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Ouch. I can not even imagine, as I will not be in that place for another 20 years at least with my kids. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love to look in on new blogs. Yours in very interesting.
Lori

 
At 2/27/2005 9:12 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

Dad! You made me cry. Don't think of this as losing a daughter. Think of it as gaining a fabulous vacationing spot. Love you!

 
At 2/27/2005 7:58 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Lori,
Thanks for stopping by mine! I've bookmarked yours so I can try to keep up with your doings. I see you're a photographer--me too, of sorts. Right now my favorite subject is grandson Max. I've filled couple of albums with his photos and he's only two and half.

 
At 2/27/2005 11:39 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Man, John, I can't imagine what you must be feeling. I'm 44, not/never married, no kids (that I know of...a story for another time). But I am the youngest of 3 "boys" (we're currently 48, 46, 44; and mom just turned 70). So, my mom (and dad while he was living) saw all 3 sons leave the nest. The farthest any of us ever moved, though, was Texas.

But as -ann notes, you're gaining a new vacation spot!!! Erin go bragh!!!

 
At 2/28/2005 2:01 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I won't be going through this, just so you know! My little ones have already promised to purchase the house next door. Apparently they are all going to live there and cook for me so I can just walk over for dinner anytime I am hungry, and leave them the dishes to do.

If they try to tell me they want to go to Ireland, they will be sent to their rooms. ;) Have you tried to take Ann's allowance away? Maybe the 5 bucks a week will keep her a bit longer. If that doesn't work, try dressing like a leprchaun, it might bring you luck.

 
At 2/28/2005 7:21 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Jeff,
I appreciate your sentiments. Once we'd seen Ireland for ourselves, we left a little bit of us there and vowed to return some day. And so we will!

Darlene,
How sweet of your children to plan the rest of their lives around you and your comfort. Get it in writing before they morph into teenagers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home