Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Let go, let God--does it work?

It's probably a cliche, that saying, "Let go, let God", but that doesn't make it any less true. I told you this was my crazy time, with pressure building at work with this giant job fair coming up. Today the 100th employer registered. There will be 420 company representatives there, and we're still two weeks away from the registration deadline.

The other day, one employer called and said she wanted to register but she didn't want her name and address to appear in the booklet that we hand out to students at the career fair. I said, "OK, go ahead and register and I can clear the information before we print the booklet." Well, I didn't take notes on our conversation and that night I couldn't remember her name or what company she was with. I woke up at 3am this morning worrying about it. All I could think of was how angry she would be if I did not do as I had promised. I was frantically trying to think of a way to save the situation.

Then this morning, sitting at work at about 7:30am, I just said, "Dear Jesus, please help me find out who that person was! I am going nuts thinking about it, but I know you can help me." I decided to let go and let Him do it. Moments later I found the email that spelled out who the company was and what they wanted. No kidding--it happened just that way. I immediately called another Christian at work and just said, "Kathy, I just wanted you to know that our God is an awesome God." She was pleased and agreed, saying she needed to hear that.

Want to hear more? My mom taught me a prayer probably 40 years ago: "Jesus is lost, Jesus is found--please help me find my _____________" and put in the blank whatever you have lost. I am proud to say that He has never failed me. I have found keys, money, shoes, all sorts of things. Once I lost my keys which was baffling because I always put them in the same place--on top of the refrigerator. Where could they go? After I said the prayer, I discovered they had fallen into the freezer compartment when someone had opened the door.

I have a lot fun teaching that prayer to skeptical people, like a woman at work who had lost hundreds of dollars worth of gift cards. She said, "OK I'll try anything." Sure enough, that night there was a message on my answering machine--she was so pleased that the cards had turned up--in a place where she was certain she had already searched.

The secret is to relax and turn things over to God. It's certainly not easy--we like to think we're just so smart and so capable that we don't need help, but we really do.

4 Comments:

At 2/10/2005 7:13 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I am glad God heard your prayer.

 
At 2/11/2005 2:20 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

I know our God is an awesome God. And I don't use that word lightly. Someone once told me that the word Awesome can only apply to our God. Nothing else is truly Awesome! Our God sure cares about our day to day issues and loves it when we talk to Him about them! Keep it up!

 
At 2/12/2005 8:17 AM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Elaine,

Thanks for your encouragement--I've met some of the nicest people through this blog. It's a blessing--and that is a term I don't use lightly either!
(Paula and Barbara--I'm not ignoring you. I responded at your blogs.)
John

 
At 2/21/2005 4:15 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Yes, I needed this reminder right now, with two sick kids, a babysitter missing, a job interview tomorrow...and this reminder that He is right there...even in the little things like my keys and coat means he's certaintly there in these seemingly "bigger" things...thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home