Tuesday, February 08, 2005

My Crazy Time

This is my crazy time. At work I am in charge of producing the annual Spring Career Day. It's the biggest thing we do all year. The past few years it has been hard to convince employers to come out for the fair. This year we didn't have that problem. I'm beginnning to wonder where I'll put everyone. Anyway, this is my crazy time. I have this pressure building as the event draws nearer. I just start to be a little odd, not being able to concentrate on other things since this planning takes over my life. I develop this maniacal giggle as the time gets closer. I obssess about every detail, so it's good that that is my usual way of doing things.

Several things make this year a little easier. We have a terrific software program, written by one of our alums, that automates the whole registration process for employers. They just go to http://www.csucareerfair.com and fill out a form. This has saved us a tremendous amount of time since confirmations and invoices are generated automatically, and we can get a neat report in Excel detailing all the registrants. Also, we have wonderful people working in the office who are a great help--Irene and Peggy especially.

To give you an idea of the magnitude of the day, we will have over 100 companies there and over 1,000 students come through the doors. It's like planning a giant party and you hope people come. If you want to see who's coming, just go to http://www.csuohio.edu/career. If you're in Cleveland on March 4, 2005, come on in!

2 Comments:

At 2/08/2005 9:24 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

John,
Sounds like a lot of fun, but a lot of work. How successful are career fairs usually? Do many company's find and retain employees with this method??? Just wondering...I've never gone to one. I hope I'll never have to--I would love to stay at my school for the rest of my career and retire there...wishful thinking, but possible...what ever happened to people working at the same company for 30 years????

 
At 2/09/2005 7:37 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Stacey,
Outsourcing, globalization, cost cutting, mergers,greed--lots of things happened to people who used to be able to work at a company for thirty years. I think my dad was one of the last ones. He worked for Republic Steel for 35 years. Can't do that anymore.
Yes--companies do find people at career fairs, or they wouldn't come back. Often it's cheaper than a newspaper ad, and you get to meet the people on the resumes in person. I hope you can stay at your school as long as you care to. Around here, people keep voting down school levies. What do they think is going to happen? Do they not believe that teachers will be laid off, bus service curtailed, courses eliminated and sports fees enforced?
John.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home