Friday, February 04, 2005

How do you decide what to do?

How do you decide what to do with your life? What goes into that decision? Did you even make that choice or was it made for you?

There was a great TV show on in the late 80's, I think it was, about dinosaurs. Remember the one? The father was a tree-pusher for the Wesayso Company, the mother was a stay at home dinosaur, they had two teenage dinos and a younger one whose tag line was, "I'm the baby--gotta love me!" It was kind of a combination of "All in the Family", "Father Knows Best", and "The Donna Reed Show". As always, the mother was the one who had it together and was the level headed one, while the father was clueless but kind, wanting the best for his family, befuddled thought he might be. The teens would spat, the baby would make some insolent comment and the mother would make it all better again.

So in one episode, it was time for the teenage male's right of passage. He was taken by his father to see the guy who decided what career the kid would have. The boy wanted to be a rock star, of course, but he was relegated to his father's line of work: tree pushing. He recoiled at the decision,but gave it a try, but it was evident that he was not cut out for that sort of work. He got into terrible trouble with the boss dino one day--and this was a boss who could actually eat you if you got out of line. He was allowed to quit, or got fired, I forget which, but he did survive.

In America, the theory is that you can do whatever you choose in terms of a career. Some people have that choice, others don't--could depend on your family financial situation, your family dynamics--all sorts of things could get in the way of an autonomous decision on your part. In any case, what your parents do might certainly impact your career path. The doctor parent forcing the children to go into medicine, the scientist parent steering the children into engineering, or the blue collar parent insisting that the children do better and go into business. These are possible scenarios.

In my family, my dad was a civil engineer who sold steel for Republic Steel, all through New York City, North Jersey and Connecticut. My mom stayed home with us for many years, but then went to work for an advertising agency and then a Christian book publisher as an editor. So what did their children do? My youngest brother was an artist, the next younger brother is the president of a publishing company in NYC, my sister is a nurse practitioner and my other sister is a French and math teacher. My father just shakes his head. Not a math mind among us, though the teacher is something of a math prodigy, but never used it in her career till the teaching gig came up.

So, how did you arrive where you are now in your career?

5 Comments:

At 2/05/2005 3:06 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Hi John,

I am a book designer. We bought a book binding company that was established in 1951 and soon after began to empower writers to self publish. I have always been a creative person from sketching to decorating and so my husband asked me to start cover design. I did one for a woman named Terri Camp. Terri had another book in the works with a Christian Publisher and so she asked if I wanted to give it a try. I was so inexperienced, her book was my first but I jumped at the chance anyway. Her publisher called and said he liked my work, I wasn't nearly ready to do then what I could easily do now. He later decided to back out, I am sure he could sense my inexperience. I was thrilled that someone had liked my work enough as he did, and so I set out to learn the craft. It's been about eight years and hundreds of covers and book interiors later. My next goal is to actually write the book.

Interesting that you have a book family too. Ours is a big math family. We are overflowing with CGAs and math minds.

 
At 2/05/2005 7:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Hi John. I found my way to your blog through Darlene's. (I'm new to Darlene's blog, too, right "girlfriend"? tee hee hee....we all read each other's blogs too much.)

But I digress. Since you ask how did I get to my career, well, I am still on my way. I am pursuing an elementary education degree. I have about two years to go, but I absolutely can't wait. I know being a teacher is my calling. It's just so right for me. I feel totally at home in the classroom. "How do you know this?" you may ask. I worked as a substitute teacher (and enjoyed it), and had a two-week gig in a third grade classroom. I got to feel what it's like to be a "real teacher" and have my own class, and it was the best feeling in the world.

OK, so now that we've established the fact that Jen is long winded..... *sigh.*

-Jen

 
At 2/05/2005 9:01 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Hi Jen, glad you found me. I've only just started on blogging, so it's exciting to have someone pop up on a comment. I started out as a high school teacher, but I honestly didn't know if I would like it or not until I did my student teaching. Bang! It was lots of fun--tons of work, but lots of fun. Now I teach college students and love my work. Hopefully there are more elementary teaching jobs in FL than here in OH.
John.

 
At 2/06/2005 6:21 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Hey John,

I recently went back to school to pursure a Master of English with Secondary Ed. teacher certificate (I have a bachelor's in English). This has been the absolutely the craziest experience I have ever had. Right when I found out I was accepted to grad. school I found out I was pregnant with my second child...it was either now or never. I plunged in and haven't surfaced yet!!!!

I finished my student teaching last semester, got a perm. sub position, and have been offed my first full-time teaching position in the fall at my school. I am so thankful to all the people (my husband, friends, family) who have sacraficed--so I could fulfill my lifelong dream to impart to others what I have been given.

Thanks for the question...and for blogging about choosing a career...I think it is one of the hardest things facing our youth.

 
At 2/06/2005 8:36 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Stacey,

(Sorry for misspelling your name before--and you an English teacher :-)) I used to be a Social Studies teacher back in the day. Congratulations on your new job! You are indeed very fortunate, and you are right to recognize your family for their support. I would never be where I am today if it weren't for my Kathy. You did everything right as far as I can tell. I tell my students to substitute if they can,and make a good impression on the administration--network your way into a job. I wish you the best--I know you'll be terrific.

John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home