Sunday, February 06, 2005

Stupor Bowl Sunday

My sister once asked me if I meant to spell it that way. Yes, I did. I did go to a Super Bowl party once years ago, at my then boss's house. I brought my son who was probably about 12 years old. We stayed for the first half, but then made some excuses to get out. Not much of a party person. Now it's down to Kathy and me and some hot hors d'ouerves (never could spell that) and shrimp and cheese and crackers. This year we might even watch half time with Paul McCartney. Last year I wasn't paying attention for the big moment that seems to have dominated the news for an entire year. But that's not important.

Yesterday Shane and Max and I went to the zoo. I invited myself along, since I knew they go almost every Saturday. Max is our two and half year old grandson and Shane is his father. Shane jokes that Max has no inner dialogue, since everything he is thinking seems to come right out immediately. He is quiet for brief periods as he tries to puzzle out something new he's never seen before. "What's that?" "Tell me!" are his favorite phrases now. The other day Kathy made him some microwave macaroni and cheese and he declared, "You're the best food maker in the whole world!" How nice for her to finally be recognized.

So what does this have to do with careers, the supposed topic of this blog? I'm not sure, except that being a kid is a career for a two and half year old. His job is to explore and question and figure things out as he makes his way in the world. His job includes learning and practicing what he has learned. Everything he hears is part of what he is learning, so watch out--he's liable to repeat anything you say. He'll blurt an occasional "Dammit", just to see if we react, so we have to be cool about it. That seems to have faded, so our tactic worked. No one can pick out hypocrisy like a little kid, and I suppose that's part of his job too.

7 Comments:

At 2/06/2005 6:15 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

I love the lack of inner dialouge idea. I think my 5 year old son has the same diagnosis...he comes up with the strangest questions like "What is God's favorite color?" "But why is 2 plus 2 four? I know but WHY?? TELL ME!!!" I have no answers for these things...sometimes I wonder how well equipped I am for parenthood...many times I resort to the "That's a great question, you should ask your Dad when we get home."

 
At 2/06/2005 8:28 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Stacie,

Those are great questions! I hope I'm ready for the "why" years. There are strategies that you can use for answering such things. Try this site: http://tinyurl.com/3nbuz for some ideas. Even though they are talking about the birds and bees at that site, the ideas are still applicable to the kinds of things you are running into. Thanks for your comment!

John

 
At 2/07/2005 10:54 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Hey, glad to see you solved the picture/profile problem.

 
At 2/08/2005 2:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I met Anne through her blog today. She is an interesting writer. I loved her story about the sewer. Would Max be her son?

I taped the superbowl last year on our PVR. I just wanted to scoot through and watch the commercials and half time show. I was sitting there watching Janet and what's his name doing their thing and suddenly I said "Brendan, can you leave the room for a minute, I have to rewind this." I couldn't believe what I saw, but actually you couldn't really see anything. The only thing giving it away was the look on her face.

 
At 2/08/2005 6:05 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Jeff,

Yes, thanks to my super smart daughter. She straightened me out.

John

 
At 2/08/2005 7:20 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Darlene,

Max is Shane's son. Shane is a graphic designer, so of course Max is provided all sorts of art supplies just in case he cares to emote or something.

John

 
At 2/08/2005 9:20 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

John,

Thanks for the webpage...it has some really great info. I bookmarked it...today's topic was teaching your children about sexuality...WOW...I'm not sure if I'm ready for this part of parenting...thanks...I can certaintly use all the help I can get!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home