Tuesday, February 15, 2005

It's Raining Puzzle Pieces!

In our lives we play lots of different roles, some at work, some at home, some in the community--who we are depends upon where we are. Tonight I was "da", my grandson's name for me. His dad wasn't feeling well, so I went over to their place to be the entertainment for the evening. Max is two and a half, and full of energy, even at the end of the day. We love to be "kitties", which involves crawling on the floor and meowing. We sit in the "kitty house", which is a corner of the dining room piled high with toys. We chase each other, give horsey back rides, play kickball in the living room, put puzzles together, try out the monkey flashlight in a darkened bedroom, and pretend we are "The Incredibles". Tonight he put on his "Dash" slippers and showed how fast Dash can run. I tried to put together a big alphabet puzzle on the floor, and Max came over and wrecked all my careful work, taking handfuls of pieces and dropping them on his head proclaiming, "It's raining puzzle pieces!"

We took a break for a Valentine's Day cookie and some milk, and then it was back to mischief. But not for long, as he finally crawled to a stop and laid his head down on the dining room carpet. Dad (Shane) got him dressed for bed, and then Max showed me how he brushes his teeth. For the first time, I was able to tuck him in and give him a goodnight kiss. He curled up under his blanket with his stuffed Nemo and drifted off to wherever little boys' minds go as they fade into sleep.

Being a grandfather is the funnest thing I do. When he jumps into my arms after a long separation ( usually a few days), I'm flooded with endorphins. I don't even have to see him--just thinking about him causes me to start smiling like a simpleton. I know someday he'll be a sullen teenager busy with his friends, but right now he is a lovable bundle of snips and snails and puppy dog tails with an endearing brown eyed innocence that has charmed us completely.

5 Comments:

At 2/16/2005 7:40 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

I wish Nana Dogs was around to see Max. She once told me that she loved being a grandmother because you got to do all the fun stuff, none of the difficult discipline stuff AND you got to send the kids home at the end of the visit.

My internet connection was broken on Sunday and I was complaining to Shane about it. Max picked up the phone and said "I'll fix it. I'll get on a plane and come all the way to your house and fix it." A very funny image, I thought.

 
At 2/16/2005 11:24 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Whatever you do, stay involved in his life. Grandparents are huge spiritual influences on kids.

If you need any pointers, read about my grandfather (he's 94):

http://thinksink.blogspot.com/2005/02/eggs-one-of-many-stories.html

 
At 2/16/2005 11:25 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Sorry, you'd think I'd take my own advice and use tinyURL...

http://tinyurl.com/5bct4

 
At 2/17/2005 11:25 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I always feel that life is too busy to enjoy my kids everytime I see them like that. That is what is great about being a grandparent, you have Da time. Enjoy it now, because when he is a teenager he'll be calling you 'Duh'.

Great story!

 
At 2/21/2005 3:56 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

John,

You remind me so much of my own Dad...even more so after I visited Ann's blog...totally reminds me of me and my Dad...my favorite thing to watch is when TJ--my four year old--puts grandpa in a time out "no talking or moving allowed"...and I love the "time-out" I get when grandpa comes over to play :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home