Saturday, June 25, 2005

Sale-ing, sale-ing over the bounding...driveway

Kathy and I had a garage sale today. Since we divided up all the things from her mom's house, we had to make room somehow and decide what we really wanted to keep. We didn't plan to make a lot of money, we just wanted to move some stuff out of our house and into someone else's.

One of our best customers was a woman from work who bought an air conditioner before the sale even opened. Her husband came by the evening before the sale and picked up a few more items. Early this morning I went out and set up tables and arranged the knick knacks, bric-a-brac, flotsam and even jetsam in an attractive way that hopefully said, "Buy me!"

It's funny what other people will buy. Things you never thought you'd sell go right away, while the really good stuff just sits all sad and lonely, ignored. A beat up old serving tray was snatched up by one of the first people through today, but a perfectly good little dorm room refrigerator sat forlorn during the entire sale. A very nice platform rocker will be on it's way to Goodwill, since I couldn't convince anyone to take it. I spent five dollars on a can of spray cleaner to spruce up the chair and after a while I wondered if I'd even recover the cost of cleaning the darn thing. I'll see if one of our students can use the fridge. The rest of the stuff goes to the church rummage sale.

Since it was only 95 degrees, it was a great day to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air, so it wasn't a complete loss.

6 Comments:

At 6/27/2005 2:23 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I had a huge garage sale before Idf left Canada to move to Europe. Now I have wonderful memories of the event. When I visit some of my friends I see little treasures that used to sit in my house and I know that I am not forgotten because of them!!

 
At 6/27/2005 12:08 PM, Blogger Dallas said...

I love garage sales and get caught up in the moment and end up buying way too much. I get home and then wonder - Whatever possessed me to buy that item or this item. Sometimes I think the price is just too good to pass up. Oh well, live and learn.

 
At 6/27/2005 2:41 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

We are in dire need of a garage sale. Too much junk cluttering our home.

 
At 6/27/2005 4:13 PM, Blogger -Ann said...

We opted not to have a garage sale. We sold the big ticket items to friends and through a web site and craigslist. Then we donated or gave away whatever we weren't shipping.
I just couldn't see Peter sitting in a lawn chair, selling things for quarters all day. We figured that the money we lost out on we gained back in aggravation avoided.

 
At 6/27/2005 9:36 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Tink--I'll have to let you know when the next one is. You're exactly the kind of buyer we were looking for all day!

Ann--so it's Peter that would have to sit in the lawn chair? Now I'd pay money to see that.

Rebecca, one of our little treasures, the air conditioner, ran fine for one night for the buyer and then quit. I had to give her her money back.

Jack--just take the plunge. You reach a tipping point where you can't stand the junk crowding you out. Have fun.

 
At 6/28/2005 2:23 PM, Blogger -Ann said...

It would have had to have been Peter since I was already in Dublin at that point. And well, it wasn't going to be, thus the no-garage sale policy that we implemented. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home