Saturday, October 08, 2005

Darlene got me started on thinking about denim jeans and their place in my life. When I left for college in 1968, I thought I would be getting semi-dressed up for class. Who knew the world would be turned upside down in those years and that denim would be the thing to wear for any self-respecting independent non-conformist?

All these years I kept wearing jeans, no matter what. Sometimes I felt stodgy, like I was wearing Bermuda shorts and black socks, as the fashion trends spun around me. I never owned a pair of “stone-washed” jeans, never owned any “Jordache” jeans. All I ever wore were either Wranglers or generic jeans from Penney’s. Then one day that all changed.

I was curious about what the big deal was about Levi’s. They cost a little more than the jeans I usually bought, and with three kids to clothe, I didn’t have extra money for such extravagance. My epiphany came in the department store dressing room when I pulled on a pair of Levi’s 505’s. Like butta. I loved those jeans! They just felt so right, they couldn’t be wrong, could they? That was it. Nothing but 505’s for me from then on.

Shhh-don’t tell Kathy—I have four brand new pairs tucked away in the closet. That will probably be a life time supply for me, but I know I’ll keep buying them, especially if I can trick her into paying for them. They’ll be part of my estate. My kids can make a fortune on eBay.

There is a hierarchy of jeans, of course, just as there are several levels of Hell. My particular Inferno consists of four levels. The lowest tier is occupied by painting jeans, those that are too far gone to be good for anything else. Next highest is grass cutting jeans. Good enough to be seen in public, but not up close, and who cares if the cuffs turn all green? On the third level we find everyday jeans. These are ideal for wearing around the house and for the occasional run to the grocery store. These see the most use. Finally, at the top of pyramid are dress up jeans. These are typically new, perhaps never worn, but certainly used only for special occasions. I’ll use these if I have to go a casual party, like a family Thanksgiving Day deal, or maybe a meeting up at church.

You can see how each level devolves into the next, since dress up jeans eventually become everyday wear, everydays drop into grass cutting apparel, and grass cuttings are demoted to painting.

Do I change jeans in the course of a day, depending upon the sartorial demands of the situation? You bet.

Are you surprised that there is a parallel system that runs with my sneakers? Grass cutting, everyday, and dress up. Gotta be Nike walking shoes. (you have watch to Nike—they change models all the time and you might find a favorite like I did and then find them suddenly unavailable.) Oh, and there’s a brand new pair of my favorites hidden in the closet.

Shhh—don’t tell Kathy!

10 Comments:

At 10/09/2005 1:15 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Next blog topic..."The Many Levels of Hell and How to Aviod the Pitfalls"

 
At 10/09/2005 11:25 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Too true about the many levels of jeans. You could never wear the raggedy ones out Tish Tish! Who would have ever thought that we would be in an era of "Dress Up Jeans". I am sure people never thought that would happen. Long gone are the days of such formality with largely dressing up for things amoung us "lower-classes".

 
At 10/09/2005 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love jeans too!!!
it's great because now you can wear them just about everywhere, just add the right sparkly belt;)

 
At 10/09/2005 3:57 PM, Blogger -Ann said...

On Friday, I helped Noirin clean out a closet and also cull some of the hang-up clothes in the attic. We took a carload to Gorta (an Irish charity shop). The carload included 2 pairs of jeans that Tom bought ages ago, thinking he'd wear them. Sadly, Tom is just not a jeans man. One of the pairs still had the original crease folds in them.

 
At 10/09/2005 11:30 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

"Who knew the world would be turned upside down in those years and that denim would be the thing to wear for any self-respecting independent non-conformist?"

So, you joined all the other "non-conformists" wearing the exact same thing, and gave ne'ry a thought to the obvious irony, correct?

 
At 10/10/2005 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are kindred spirits in the wardrobe department. My beloved jeans and tennis shoes. Life wouldn't be...complete...without them. I certainly wouldn't be *me* without them.

 
At 10/10/2005 7:51 PM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Hi John,
Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

I'm old enough to remember when you'd get sent home from school for dress code violation for wearing blue jeans.

I enjoyed reading back over some of your archive postings. I especially liked Tink's Challenge back in March.

I see you are a Carl Hiaasen fan too. Great. I love odd tails about south Florida (we here in the real Florida think they should be a separate state).

But since you like Hiaasen, you may enjoy several authors who tell of that same south Florida nuttiness:
Dave Barry, Big Trouble; Laurence Shames, Virgin Heat; Tim Dorsey, Torpedo Juice; and James Swain, Sucker Bet.

 
At 10/10/2005 7:52 PM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Tails should be tales. Knew I should preview!

 
At 10/10/2005 8:23 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

The acid washed jeans may be worth something on ebay, after all they must be a rare antique by now.

 
At 10/10/2005 8:47 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Stacey, to avoid the pitfalls, always keep the jeans cycle moving.

revswife, sometimes I'll wear a suit to work when I want to feel special.

Donna, Good for you, keeping your husband respectable.

bsts, Umm, sparkly belt? Yes. Of course. Sparkly belt. I'll have to look into that.

Ann, yes I can see that about Tom.

Jeff-it was us against them. We were dressed in opposition to the people wearing plaid shirts and yellow windbreakers. We were nonconforming to their conformance. Made perfect sense to us.

Jennifer, how do you feel about a sparkly belt?

John C., thanks for the list. How do you feel about a sparkly belt?

Darlene, the problem with jeans is that just as they finally get comfortable and perfect, they fall apart. I bet there are no acid washed jeans in existence. Apparently, all that's left of them is...sparkly belts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home