Saturday, December 17, 2005

Pilgrimage

Youngest son Patrick flew in today. So begins the Christmas pilgrimage season. Daughter Ann will be here Christmas Eve, but then Patrick leaves on Christmas Day. They’ll have to pull an all nighter just to have a few hours together. I betcha that’s exactly what they do. Their clocks are different than Kathy’s and mine. They can still do things like that.

Have you noticed that when you do something like stay up way too late and get too little sleep, you can actually function pretty well the next day. It’s the day after when things really catch up with you. Fortunately, I’ve been able to avoid things that keep me up too late. Seven hours and ten-fifteen minutes. That’s what I need. So I set things up so I get it. Sleeping in is tempting, but makes me feel fuzzy and slow the rest of the day. Better to jump up and get my day started. Even Saturday and Sunday? Especially the weekend. Kathy is baffled, but that’s OK. She can sleep, I’ll do the wash, clean the bathrooms and blog, then run to McDonald’s for her coffee when she gets up. It’s a good deal for both of us.

Later, if it’s a Saturday, she may go off mall walking with her friend Cookie while I put on my music full blast and clean the house. Again, a good deal all around.

Hey, our cruise documents arrived yesterday. I expected some standard stuff, like paper airplane tickets. Well, not tickets for paper airplanes, of course…Instead we opened the box and found a spiral bound notebook that had everything we need: e-tickets, itinerary, transfers, tip vouchers, descriptions of all the side trips available, clearance forms, contract—everything.

Did I already tell you? I talked to an Anthropology professor who made his reputation studying the Mayan ruins in Belize (one of our stops). He gave me great advice on what to see and what not to bother with, and even where to shop! He advises trying a Bailey’s colada. Too bad I don’t drink.

After this last week at work, I am really ready to escape to a Caribbean island. Too much important stuff to do, with too many distractions.

“Aruba, Jamaica, ooo-I want to take you
Bermuda, Bahama, c’mon pretty mama,
Key Largo, Montego, baby why don’t we go…”

Jan. 2. Can’t wait!

5 Comments:

At 12/18/2005 5:04 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

How I envy you your sleep! My internal clock has me up between 3 & 4 almost every day. I live in a stupor.
Enjoy planing for your cruise; the anticipation is half the fun.

 
At 12/19/2005 5:35 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Kokomo, good choice. Wheere is that anyway?

 
At 12/19/2005 9:52 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I must say that I am surprised at the McDonald coffee run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12/20/2005 9:57 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

John-you're right about the anticipation. We've been dreaming of this for a whole year.

Why Rebecca, don't you know McDonald's makes the best coffee in the world? It's the only kind Kathy will drink.

Netie-I think it's a made up place, but that's OK.

Mirty--Yes, poor Kodiak will be torn between two lovers. I wonder how he will react when he sees his 'mommy'.

 
At 12/20/2005 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, a cruise. In January. How perfectly sublime. Glad you'll all be together for the holiday, however brief. We take what we can get sometimes, don't we?

Merry Christmas, John. To you and yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home