Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Projects

So where have I been? Right here. Working on projects. I took this week off for vacation. Kathy wanted some painting done—just the shower stall in the basement. Then, things changed. She has been watching every home remodeling show there is: “Flip This House”. “Trading Spaces”. I don’t know all the names. Something worked on her and she got an idea.

She decided to make over the kitchen. She chose a light gray (Sherwin Williams calls it “Cumulous Clouds”) for the walls, and wanted to paint the cabinets white. I was a little dubious, but what the heck—we’ve never been happy with any color we’ve had in that kitchen, so why not take a chance?

Fortunately, there was a great sale –25% off-- at the paint store, so I went nuts. After all, Kathy was buying. Now painting tools are still tools, so this was a great excuse to add something to my arsenal. I chose a nice Contractors grade two inch brush. They run about thirteen dollars, but last a long time. The bristles don’t fall out, they keep their shape. All you have to do is take care of it.

The project included using the same wall color in the downstairs bathroom and the basement stairway. There is so much masking and edging to do, I am behind schedule. There are all sorts of angles and corners. If it were only rolling the walls, like in the living room, I could have been finished in a day.

Tomorrow I’ll finish the basement stairway and start prepping the cabinets. Should be exciting, if not excruciating.

4 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 2:02 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Those TV makeover shows are dangerous, aren't they?!!

 
At 7/05/2006 7:42 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

A good paint brush is a worthy investment. But you're going to paint your entire kitchen with a 2" brush? You're a patient man, my friend. :)

Good luck with those projects. Nothing says "fresh" like a new coat of paint.

 
At 7/06/2006 6:09 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

The only thing wrong with painting one place is that you're sure to see another place that needs it too.

You stand to fall victim to the "while you're at it" bug, and you'll end up replacing foundations and underground plumbing.

Me, if she doesn't like the color of the walls, I just unscrew the lightbulbs in that room.

 
At 7/06/2006 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home