Thursday, March 06, 2008

How I Spent My Birthday

A little while ago, daughter Ann lamented that fact that her dad was no longer blogging. Her plaintive cry worked on my sensibilities for a while—she always could get anything she wanted from me. So I decided to crank up the blog again and see what happens. Watching from the sidelines as she flourished here in the blogosphere has been fun. I guess I want to get in on some of the fun. Perhaps the reasons I originally stopped blogging are no longer relevant. So here goes:

How I Spent My Birthday: I got up early as is my wont, and started several loads of wash. Then I took Kathy to work so I could have the car. I came home and checked email and cycled the washes into the dryer until it was time to leave the house.

I drove to FedEx and shipped the draft of the third edition of my textbook. Do you know the sort of redneck comic named Bill Engvall? He’s famous for the “Here’s your sign” routine. That is, some people should wear a sign saying “Stupid”, so that we’ll know not to rely on them for anything. So I’m in the FedEx store and I put the box on the counter and the woman says, “You want to ship that?” “No, I just thought you might want to admire my neat printing on the address label….here’s your sign.” I didn’t actually say that, of course. Her name tag said “Christine—Team member since 1998.” What I did say was, “So Christine, you’re coming up on a ten year anniversary” and she got this stricken look on her face as if to say, “Ohmigod, have I been here that long?” as she multi-tasked shipping my package and printing color copies for a little old lady standing further down the counter.

Then it was over to Sams Club for paper products, chips and Advil—just the essentials.

Then to a big mall where I was determined to do some damage with the Macy’s gift card Kathy had generously given me. There was $47 left on it and I didn’t see why it shouldn’t be wiped clean in one fell swoop. I wound up buying the most expensive pair of black dress pants I could find.

It was nearly lunch time and I was feeling rather peckish. (Always wanted to use ‘peckish’ in a sentence, but first I accidentally typed “puckish”, which I believe is a whole ‘nother thing.)

I stopped at a Dippin’ Dots place, I think it’s called. Ever see that stuff? It looks like crumbled cookie toppings but magically turns into ice cream when you put it in your mouth. The was my first experience with the concoction. I also picked up an Auntie Anne’s pretzel, since I was celebrating anyway.

Dippin’ Dots is a little tricky, requiring most of one’s attention, so I sat on a couch in the middle of mall eating my Dippin’ Dots, by myself, on my birthday. Then I realized how pathetic that was, and I left to go to the car and eat my pretzel, washing it down with the dregs of a can of Coke I had left in the car. Aware of how sad that was, I headed home.

Desiring to surprise Kathy with an ice-free driveway, I went out and chopped ice and snow for a while. Probably just long enough to screw up my knee again.

For some months I’ve been promising myself a new watchband for my Mickey Mouse watch, since the old one has these sharp edges that ruin my shirt cuffs, I drove to another mall to get one. The young lady at the mall kiosk has been there for years and really knows her stuff, so together we picked out the right one for me. She even gave me 10% off when I told her I had bought the original band from her ten years ago. I didn’t even have to play the birthday card, so to speak.

After picking Kathy up at work, I came home and fielded calls from admirers family members who felt obligated to call with birthday wishes. Still, it was fun catching up with everyone.

So. What are we going to do tomorrow night, Brain? Try to catch up with New Yorker magazines that have piled up.

2 Comments:

At 3/07/2008 12:09 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

Ice cream of the future! I think that's quite possibly the best tag line ever.

It's unfortunate that Mom had to work but I'm glad you took the day off. I'm also thrilled that you're giving blogging another go.

And I could not get anything I wanted - I never, for example, got a pony. :)

 
At 3/07/2008 3:11 AM, Blogger Irene said...

Hi, I am one of Ann's readers and I am glad you are blogging again and have bookmarked your page, so that means I am expecting more posts!

I have never had Dippin' Dots and have no idea what to make of it, but I'm sure it is an interesting experience and something only Americans could think of. Something like Donut Holes and Corn Dogs on a Stick.

Hope you enjoyed your birthday and that the days after are equally pleasant.

Ciao...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home