Saturday, April 12, 2008

Nice work if you can get it

Last week I was only in the office on Monday and Friday. I spend a couple of days in Des Moines at an executive board meeting for my professional group. I am the treasurer, which is kind of funny because I don’t know a balance sheet from a bed sheet.

Since I didn’t get home until very late on Wednesday night, I stayed home of Thursday. I did do a little work, but I slept in until 9am. It was a good rest day, since I was exhausted the whole time I sat in meetings, having been up at 4am to catch my flight on Tuesday, going long hours the whole time.

We have an interesting group of people on the board, exemplifying diversity. If you just look around the room you would see the following:
- an old white guy (me)
- a mature white woman
- two African American women
- one African American man
- one Vietnamese American man
- one gay white woman
- two straight white women

It’s a pretty good group of people who care about the organization and serve on the board for it’s sake rather than any personal glory one might garner in such a position. Actually, I think most members don’t even know who’s on the board, so there’s no point in joining if you are looking solely for personal gain.

I’m not sure why I do it, myself. Maybe it’s for the neat plaque you get at the end of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home