Sunday, March 27, 2005

We've decided to adopt

Coming out of church on Good Friday evening, I broke the news to some of my friends.
"Kathy and I have decided to adopt."

"What!Are you kidding?" They were stunned.

I continued, "An eight year old."

They got quiet, I'm sure thinking that we had lost our minds, but trying to be respectful of our decision.

"He's a Great Dane-Lab mix--it's Ann's dog."

I think they wanted to punch me for leading them on so shamelessly, but after all, it was Good Friday so they couldn't really do that.

We thought she had already distributed all their pets in preparing for their big move to Ireland, but the deal for Kodiak (yes, named after the big ol' bear) had fallen through.

On Thursday evening, Kathy gave me the big doe eyes look, saying, "John, I need something." I thought she was about to say she needed five thousand dollars--since that's what it was the last time I saw that look. "I need you to say it's OK if we take Kodiak." I came around after a minute or so. He's a good dog, follows you from room to room as if he's afraid he'll miss something. He doesn't walk too well anymore, but he's much too heavy to carry anywhere. So, we'll be taking care of him for whatever time he has left. Max loves him, so he'll be very happy to be able to see him all the time. Just be mindful of those teeth (Kodiak's, not Max's).

2 Comments:

At 3/28/2005 12:55 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Congrats on becoming a "daddy" again!!!

 
At 3/30/2005 4:48 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I must be overly emotional today, maybe it's the flu, but this post brought tears to my eyes.

I think the way that Kathy said, "John, I need something." Reflects a mutual respect on your relationship of willing to listen when the other has a need.

Congrats on the new addition to your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home