Thursday, April 14, 2005

What a week I'm having!

Since I seem to be staring at a computer screen all day at work lately, I didn’t even turn on my home computer all week. I need to check up on my fellow bloggers to see how everyone is doing. Here is a sampling of my week:

Max came over on Sunday and we had tons of fun outside for a change. He saw the flowers in the front yard and said, “These are beautiful! I call them’ tulips’.” We had to tell him they were really daffodils, and he was OK with that. Later in the week I went to his house and brought some modeling clay as a present, just to see what we could do with it. We wound up making awful reproductions of everyone in the Spongebob cartoon. When I left, he piped up, “Thanks for my treat, Da!” I know in ten years he won’t be that polite, so I’m enjoying it now.

At work one day we were just winding up a meeting, and there were about eight of us in the room. We were telling stories and getting ready to leave, and I was complaining about the tiny print on the bottle of glucosamine we give to Kodiak, the Great Dane/Lab mix we inherited. Out of blue, one of the guys says, “I took my dog’s medication for a week before I realized it.” We all just roared at that. “Do you have a strange affinity for fire hydrants now?” You can imagine the things we threw at him. We were laughing so hard we couldn’t leave the room for a few minutes.

We had a nice email from daughter Ann today. She had had her first job interview in Ireland and told us all about it. While the meeting didn’t go all that well, she is smart enough to gauge a business model and recognize a loser when she sees one. This company had only one client. She’s already been burned by a similar situation in the US. The one bright spot for me was that I knew all the places she mentioned in her letter: the train station, the mountains, the towns. I must say I felt like quite the world traveler.

Now I think I’m getting the flu and may just stay home tomorrow. Fortunately I’ve stocked up on library books for just such an occasion.

One last thing: I’m taking a poll. Women only may respond. (OK, Jeff, you may respond, but I may discount your opinion.) Here’s the deal: Our 34th anniversary is coming up on April 24. We are going to dinner on Saturday the 23rd. I have this really nice diamond ring I plan to give Kathy. The question is: should I give it to her at dinner, or the next day (our actual anniversary day)? Thanks for playing our game.

6 Comments:

At 4/15/2005 7:18 AM, Blogger -Ann said...

Dad! What if Mom reads your blog? :) I'd say give it to her the next day, on the actual anniversary. She will think all of the surprises are over and then you'll have the biggest surprise of all to give her. I'd give her a card and maybe a small decoy gift at dinner, just to really make it seem like there's nothing else.

 
At 4/15/2005 6:11 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I am in agreement with Ann. My partner and I do stuff like that-- psuedo-surprises before the really big one. I also was wondering about the "what-if" question. My partner *never* reads my blog, so I could reveal the biggest surprises on there, but does your wife ever read the blog?

 
At 4/15/2005 8:15 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

John...here's a kinda different thought, if it were I, I would like the ring BEFORE dinner so I could wear it out that evening and feel like it makes it an even more special night...I'd glance at the ring and then again at my hubby across the table from me, back at the ring, back across the table...my eyes telling him "just wait til we get home baby"...oK you can finish the rest...your daughter reads your blog...not to mention your wife really wouldn't be expecting it early would she????

P.S. My 7 year anniversary is Monday...cool

 
At 4/15/2005 8:15 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

On the actual day of course!!!
Therefore if she has expectations that something might happen at the dinner , they will be dealt with and then the next day, in a lovely intimate setting you can surprise her!

 
At 4/15/2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Hey, I resent being left out...

GIVE IT TO HER AS SOON AS YOUR SEATED AT THE RESTAURANT. Sheesh, I may be an old, confirmed bachelor, but I know a thing or two about how women think--and react.

Great stuff for you this week, John. Spongebob rocks!!! And don't give up on Max's teenage manners just yet. I have a soon-to-be 20 year old nephew who is the most gracious gentleman you can imagine for a modern kid; and my 23 year old beauty queen niece (graduating from U. of Ark in May) makes most women appear coarse by comparison. Max can still pick up a lot good stuff from his grandpa. I hear that guy's pretty good...

Dog meds. I think I'd just go off into the wilds howling at the moon!!!

 
At 4/17/2005 1:37 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, I agree with Jeff. At dinner. Not just as you sit down, but at a point during the evening that feels right and lends itself. It makes it more of a "moment", memorable, atmospheric, romantic. Then you can spend the whole of the actual day just enjoying being together. Which should - and will - be the real celebration, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home