Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Maybe I should call Buzz

I always tell Kathy that I just want to be a normal kid. Whenever I’ve had surgery or gotten put into the hospital for one reason or another, I am anxious to get on with my life and put the physical problems behind me. Over the past few years, it seems that things go smoothly for six months at a crack and then I have another setback. Such is the case now.

After days of pain and hours of tests over the past week, I have been scheduled for surgery on May 11. There is some sort of blockage in my right kidney. They don’t know exactly what it is, so they will go with lasers blasting to take care of whatever they find. Suffice to say, my symptoms are not exactly table talk, so I won’t detail them here.

Working for the state of Ohio has its advantages. I once accumulated over 1100 hours of sick time. I tend to show up for work every day. Wouldn’t you know it? I needed almost all of those 1100 hours when I was out for six months with two open heart surgeries. I’m a little nervous now as there is only about 100 hours showing up in my account. There are about 250 vacation hours stored up, so I could use that if need be.

Max came over tonight. We spent a fun hour or so in his new Buzz Lightyear tent. Kathy found one on sale at the Disney store. Max immediately decided that I was Buzz and he was Woody. He is so serious about our roles. He would pretend to “fall” out of the spaceship tent and I (as Buzz) would have to rescue him from the space aliens. He brought his favorite toys into the tent and we had a riot in there. He makes all my problems disappear with one of his hugs, or a “Don’t worry, Da!”.

I’d appreciate your prayers for May 11.

6 Comments:

At 5/05/2005 12:27 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

I will for sure be praying for you John. I am so sad you have to have surgery, but so glad they will be able to take care of the problem.

Now about that ring?????

 
At 5/05/2005 12:28 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

And little boys are so much fun when they start with role playing...they take on a whole new persona...hmmmm...interesting how that carries on into adulthood in other areas--LOL

 
At 5/06/2005 3:03 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

TOY and praying for your situation already
I agree with Stacey - about that ring????? even my finger is itching already!!

 
At 5/06/2005 11:39 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You'll be in my thoughts, too. I hope everything goes well and you won't have need of the vast majority of those 100 hours!

 
At 5/06/2005 10:14 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Thank you all for your prayers. Looks like I'll be admitted on Tuesday, have the surgery on Wednesday and then go from there.

I'm really stuck about that ring. We are going to her sister's house tomorrow (Saturday) to watch the Kentucky Derby, but that's not the romantic setting I want. Next weekend may not work because I'll just be home from the hospital. Sigh. My son thinks it's a riot that everybody on the web knows about this ring and Kathy still has no idea.

 
At 5/07/2005 1:27 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

This is just my unsolicited opinion...it's kinda like having a baby, if you wait for all the circumstances to be "perfect" you will never be able to do it...there are just too many external factors...do you need a cheer???

I am such a believer in the ordinary. That's why I like to write, because I am able to take an everyday, ordinary moment and frame it with meaning. It is not the super spectular that we remember, but the little simple love notes, flowers for no reasons, and rings on unspecial occasions that make the thoughful acts of love memorable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home